The perinatal society was established in 2001 from small beginnings at the Family Health Bureau. Professor Indrajee Amarasinghe was the founder president. Membership is unique as it includes obstetricians, neonatologists, paediatricians with an interest in neonatology and community physicians.
The objectives of the society are promoting maternal, fetal and neonatal well being, advancing the theory and practice of perinatology, encouraging training and research, providing expert advice to government and other bodies on matters pertaining to perinatology. Further to maintain liaison with other organizations of professionals involved in perinatology both in Sri Lanka and internationally.
The presidency of this society rotates yearly through obstetricians, paediatricians and community physicians. Presently there are nearly 200 life members. The society is based out of the office of the Sri Lanka College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
A newsletter has been in progress for many years and now from August 2016 we have a website of our own.
List of Past Presidents
- Prof. W.I. Amarasinghe– 2001/2003
- Dr. Maxi Fernandopulle– 2003/2004
- Prof. Jayantha Jayawardena– 2004/2005
- Dr. Vineetha Karunaratne– 2005/2006
- Dr. Devika Suriyawansa– 2006/2007
- Prof. Sujeewa Amarasena– 2007/2008
- Dr. Anoma Jayathilake– 2008/2009
- Dr. Sri lal de Silva – 2009/2010
- Dr. Chithramalee de Silva– 2010/2011
- Prof. Hemantha Senanayake– 2011/2012
- Dr. Ramya de Silva– 2012/2013
- Dr. Dhammica Rowel– 2013/2014
- Prof. Athula Kaluarachchi – 2014/2015
- Prof. Dulanie Gunasekera – 2015/2016
- Dr. Kapila Jayaratne– 2016/2017